Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Shortcuts? An Easy Way Out!

Today my husband and I had some errands to run and needed to pick up a few groceries. Traffic was crazy due to it of course being rush hour, but on top of that it was raining. Pittsburgh traffic during any type of precipitation is CRAZINESS times a million!!

So here were are sitting in traffic and I asked Craig if I should take this exit to go around the back way. He said if you think it will be quicker go ahead. Mind you I am a VERY impatient person when it comes to sitting in traffic. I don't like just sitting still. I have to find a way to keep moving.... WHICH IS NOT A GOOD QUALITY! So after I get off the exit, traffic is at a halt AGAIN.. it was a lose lose situation. So, here I am again, "Craig, should I turn left and go that way?" He of course responds the same thing, if you think it will be quicker. Hmmm, ok let's go, it's all about taking risks. Make the left turn. Traffic/Red Lights. MAN DOWN for sure at this point.

After finally getting moving at a decent speed, I realize... this road takes me no where near where I need to go, and here I am thinking this is a short cut. WRONG STEPH WRONG WRONG WRONG! So, with all this being said... I eventually got back on the route I was after the first time.. only an hour later did I actually show up where I needed to be!




Why am I telling you this crazy story... well here's the thing! Shortcuts in life are not always the shortest routes. They may seem like it because they are obviously called "short cuts" but in regards to the story above, it took me a lot longer to get where I needed to be by taking these short cuts. You may think you're getting close to where you need to be, but something along this "shorter" route is likely to get in the way; therefore, setting you back further to where you were before. It may take you double the amount of time to get to your final destination.

In relation to my health and fitness journey, I tried taking many shortcuts. I tried diet pills, fad diets, and other things that would help me lose weight really fast but only caused me to gain it right back, and double the amount of weight! These shortcuts or quick fixes as some people call it, DO NOT WORK! This health and fitness journey is a long journey. There are hours and hours of dedication, tears, sweat, and a lot of effort put forth to see the end results! I have learned this over the last 21 months. I am totally ok going my own speed since I know there are no shortcuts. I'd rather stay on this route I know which will work than steering off to see if a shortcut will actually benefit me!

Granted, some shortcuts may work for some people, but in the long run what was the actual benefit of taking that shortcut? An easy way out? I don't want the easy way. I want to enjoy this journey and take it all in knowing I put up an amazing fight to get to where I need to be! It will make me feel much more accomplished in the long run!









I am hosting a challenge group on October 27th. Just in time for the holidays to come rolling in. If you are ready to lose the excuses, avoid the shortcuts, and make a change in your life for the better... please email me at tbbcoachsteph87@gmail.com or find me on Facebook! www.maketodayyourtomorrow.com


Please also like me on Instagram @maketodayyourtomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment